If you are involved in any high-risk activities, such as contact sports, the teeth and gums that make up your smile could be easily damaged in seconds from physical trauma. To help keep your smile safe, you should know that there are several oral appliances that can help you, one of which is a mouth guard. For more information about mouthguards, consider this:
- Our dentist can design and craft custom-made mouth guards to fit your exact dental profile.
- Boil-and-bite mouth guards are designed to have you bite into them once they become soft from warm water. Doing so will cause the mouth guard to contour to your exact dental impression.
- Stock mouth guards are pre-formed and ready-to-wear. However, they are not adapted specifically for your dental profile, which means they may not provide as adequate protection.
- To clean off your mouth guards, rinse them in cool, soapy water.
- If your mouth guards ever show signs of wear or tear, they will need to be replaced.
- Never put your mouth guards in the sun or in hot water. Do not leave them out where family pets or siblings can reach them.
When you are ready to speak with our team about using mouth guards in Ann Arbor, Michigan, you can call us at 734.668.6612. Dr. Kimberlee J. Karey and our entire team are here to help care for your oral health!